VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
THE VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING AUTHORITY
3. Establishment of the Authority.
4. Objectives and functions of the Authority.
VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING BOARD AND REGIONAL BOARDS
5. Establishment of Vocational Education and Training Board.
6. Functions and powers of the Board.
7. Meetings and decisions of the Board.
8. Establishment of Trade Advisory Committees.
9. Functions of the Trade Advisory Committees.
10. Director-General and other employees.
11. Establishment of Regional Vocational Education and Training Board.
12. Functions of the Regional Boards.
13. Functions of the Regional Vocational Training Service Centres.
THE VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING LEVY
14. Imposition of skills and development levy.
15. Distribution of the levy.
16. Penalty upon failure to pay levy.
17. Summary recovery of unpaid levy.
18. Powers of the Commissioner.
19. Exemption from levy.
20. Giving false information, etc., to evade levy.
21. Collection of levy.
THE VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING FUND AND FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
22. Establishment of the Vocational Education and Training Fund.
23. Resources of the Fund.
24. Management and auditing of the Fund.
25. Public Finance Act not to affect application of this Act.
26. Report and audited accounts to be laid before the National Assembly.
27. Remuneration of members of the Boards, etc.
30. [Repeal of Act No. 28 of 1974 and savings.]
31. [Repeal of Act No. 12 of 1985 and savings.]
THE VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING ACT
An Act to repeal and replace the Apprenticeships Ordinance and to make further and better provision for the regulation of the training of apprentices and other persons in industry.
[1st January, 1995]
[G.N. No. 622 of 1994]
1 of 1994
14 of 2001
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
(1) This Act may be cited as the Vocational Education Training Act.
In this Act, unless the context requires otherwise–
"apprentice" means a person of at least fifteen years of age, except where a higher minimum age is otherwise required by law, and who is employed to learn an occupation under standards of apprenticeship approved by the Board;
"Authority" means the National Vocational Education and Training Authority established by section 3 of this Act;
"Board" means the National Vocational Education and Training Authority established by section 5 of this Act;
"Commissioner" means the Commissioner for Income Tax;
"Committee" means a Trade Advisory Committee established under section 8 of this Act;
"Director" means the Director-General of Vocational Education and Training appointed pursuant to section 10 of this Act;
"Fund" means the Vocational Education and Training Fund established by section 22 of this Act;
"indentured trainee" means a person other than an apprentice who is not bound by a written contract but serves an employer for a determined period of time with a view to acquiring knowledge of a trade, and who attends a prescribed course of study leading to trade tests and examination;
"inspector" means an inspector appointed by the Director-General;
"Levy" means skills and development levy imposed under section 14;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for vocational education and training;
"Regional Board" means a Regional Vocational Education and Training Board established for a Region pursuant to section 11 of this Act;
"Regional Vocational Training and Service Centre" means a centre which has been delegated special regional authority and responsibilities by the Board;
"trade test" means an examination to test the knowledge and the skills acquired by a trainee or any person in a designated trade or occupation;
"Vocational Education and Training" means training leading to a skilled occupation;
"Vocational Training Centre" means any place or institution where vocational education and training is provided, including a trade school.
THE VOCATIONAL EDUCTION AND TRAINING AUTHORITY (ss 3-4)
(1) There is hereby established an autonomous government agency to be known as the Vocational Education and Training Authority.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate and shall–
(a) have perpetual succession and a common seal;
(b) in its corporate name be capable of suing and being sued;
(c) subject to this Act, be capable of purchasing or otherwise acquiring and of alienating movable property.
(3) The Minister may by Order published in the Gazette, vest in the Authority the management and the assets of any vocational training centre owned by the Government.
(1) The objectives and the functions of the Authority shall be–
(a) to provide vocational training opportunities, and facilities for such training;
(b) to establish a vocational education and training system which includes both basic and specialised training to meet the needs of both the formal and the informal sectors;
(c) to satisfy the demands of the labour market for employees with trade skills in order to improve production and productivity of the economy;
(d) to ensure that the system of vocational education and training is based on demand, is cost effective and given a gradually decentralised planning and implementation authority to the regions to ensure maximum utilisation of resources and relevance of training programmes;
(e) to foster and to promote entrepreneurial values and skills, as an integral part of all training programmes;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.