ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
TANZANIA LIBRARY SERVICES BOARD
3. Tanzania Library Services Board.
4. Functions of the Board.
5. Power of the Board in relation to libraries.
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
7. Appointment of employees.
8. Remuneration and allowances of members.
9. Superannuation benefits.
10. Agents and contractors.
11. Power of the Board to delegate.
12. Minister may give directions to the Board.
13. Financial resources.
14. Annual and supplementary budget.
15. Reserve and special funds.
17. Power to borrow.
18. Accounts and audit.
19. Report by the Board.
20. Liability of members, etc.
REPEALS AND SAVINGS
22. [Repeal of R.L. Cap. 532.]
23. [Transitional provisions.]
THE TANZANIA LIBRARY SERVICES ACT
An Act to provide for the continuance of the Tanganyika Library Services Board under the name of Tanzania Library Services Board, to enlarge the functions of the Board and to provide for the management and control of the Board.
[1st July, 1975]
[G.N. No. 825 of 1975]
6 of 1975
1 of 1977
5 of 1995
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Tanzania Library Services Act.
In this Act, unless the context requires otherwise–
"appointing authority" in relation to any member of the Board, shall have the meaning assigned to that expression by paragraph 1 of the Schedule to this Act;
"Board" means the Tanzania Library Services Board;
"book" includes any book, document, periodical, magazine, news paper, pamphlet, music-score, gramophone record, picture, print, engraving, etching, deed, photograph, map, chart, plan, film, filmstrip, microfilm, slide or manuscript,and any other article or thing of a like nature, provided for use in any library;
"Director" means the Director of the Tanzania Library Services appointed under section 6;
"documentation service" means the publication, processing, preservation, summarisation and indexing of books and other literary works and includes the preparation of bibliographies, abstracts, copies and translations of books and other literary works;
"library" includes any organised collection of printed books and periodicals or of any other graphic or audio-visual materials;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for education;
"public library" means any library to which a member of the public has or is permitted to have access, whether on payment of any fee, or by virtue of his being a member of any community, club, association, organisation or institution, or otherwise;
"repealed Act" means the Tanganyika Library Services Act *.
TANZANIA LIBRARY SERVICES BOARD (ss 3-5)
(1) The Tanganyika Library Services Board established by the repealed Act shall continue in existence as a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal:
Provided that the said Board shall, after the commencement of this Act, be known as the Tanzania Library Services Board.
(2) The Board shall, in its corporate name, be capable of–
(a) suing and being sued;
(b) taking, purchasing or otherwise acquiring, holding, charging and disposing of property, movable or immovable; and
(c) entering into contracts and doing or performing all other things or acts for the proper performance of its functions under this Act which may lawfully be done or performed by a body corporate.
(3) The provisions of the Schedule to this Act shall have effect as to the composition of the Board, the members of the Board constituted the appointment of its members, the proceedings of the Board and any other matters in relation to the Board and its members which are provided for in that Schedule.
(4) The President may, by order in the Gazette, amend, vary or replace all or any of the provisions of the Schedule to this Act.
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of the Schedule to this Act relating to the composition of the Board, the appointment and termination of under the repealed Act and holding office as such immediately before the commencement of this Act shall continue in office as the members of the board until the expiration of the term of their office as provided for in the repealed Act:
Provided that nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preventing the appointing authority from revoking the appointment of any member and appointing another member in his place.
(1) The functions of the Board shall be–
(a) to promote, establish, equip, manage, maintain and develop libraries in the United Republic;
(b) to set up, establish, equip, manage, maintain and develop documentation centres and to provide documentation services;
(c) to provide facilities for the study of, and for training in, the principles, procedure, and techniques of librarianship and any other related subjects which the Board may from time to time decide;
(d) to conduct examinations and to grant diplomas, certificates and other awards of the Board;
(e) to sponsor, arrange and provide facilities for conferences and seminars for discussion of matters relating to library and documentation services;
(f) to initiate, sponsor, participate in, finance and assist in campaigns for the eradication of illiteracy;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.