ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
THE TANZANIA INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION
3. Establishment of the Organisation.
4. Functions of the Organisation.
5. Establishment, composition and proceedings of Council.
6. Minister may give directions to Council.
POWERS AND OPERATIONS OF THE ORGANISATION
7. Provisions relating to research.
8. Information on technological research to be furnished to the Organisation.
9. Organisation may call for information.
10. Custody and disclosure of information furnished to the Organisation.
11. Provisions relating to inventions.
12. Co-ordination of research to be carried out outside Tanzania.
13. Power of Minister to make regulations.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
14. Appointment of employees.
15. Remuneration of members of Council.
16. Superannuation benefits.
17. Power of Council to delegate.
18. Funds of the Organisation.
19. Minister may impose cess on industrial products.
20. Power of Council to charge fees.
22. Power to borrow.
23. Annual and supplementary budgets.
24. Accounts and audit.
25. Annual report.
26. Laying of accounts before National Assembly.
27. Protection from personal liability.
28. Notification of orders.
THE TANZANIA INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION ACT
An Act to establish the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organisation and to provide for the functions and powers of the Organisation in relation to the promotion of industrial and technological research.
[1st April, 1979]
[G.N. No. 37 of 1979]
Act No. 5 of 1979
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organisation Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Council" means the Council of the Organisation established under section 5;
"Director-General" means the Director-General of the Organisation appointed under section 14;
"member" in relation to the Council means a member of the Council and includes the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman;
"Minister" means the Minister for the time being responsible for industries;
"Organisation" means the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organisation established by section 3;
"technical programmes committee" means the committee established under subsection (1) of section 7.
THE TANZANIA INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION (ss 3-6)
(1) There is hereby established an Organisation to be known as the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organisation.
(2) The Organisation shall be a body corporate and shall–
(a) have perpetual succession and an official seal;
(b) in its corporate name be capable of suing and being sued; and
(c) subject to this Act, be capable of holding, purchasing, or acquiring in any other way, any movable or immovable property, and of disposing of any of its property.
(1) The functions of the Organisation shall be–
(a) to carry out, and promote the carrying out of, applied research designed to facilitate the evaluation, development and use of local materials in industrial processes;
(b) to carry out research in various aspects of local and foreign industrial techniques and technologies, and evaluate their suitability for adaptation and alternative use in local industrial production;
(c) to promote, or provide facilities for, the training of local personnel for carrying out scientific and industrial research;
(d) to monitor and co-ordinate applied research carried out within Tanzania, or elsewhere on behalf of or for the benefit of the Government of Tanzania, and to evaluate the findings of that research;
(e) to establish a system for the registration of, and to register, the findings of applied research carried out within Tanzania, and to promote the practical application of those findings in industrial production;
(f) to establish and operate a system of documentation and dissemination of information on any aspect of applied research carried out by or on behalf of the Organisation;
(g) to provide to the Government, and to firms or organisations engaged in industrial production, technical and advisory services, and advise and guidance on technical matters, necessary for the furtherance of, or relating to, industrial activity;
(h) to advise the Government and firms or organisations engaged in industrial production, on the adaptation of technology in industrial production;
(i) to provide to the Government, and to firms or organisations engaged in industrial production, advice and assistance relating to the provision of technical facilities in industrial enterprises, and the establishment of systems for the control and regulation of industrial processes, so as to improve performance and to avert or minimise the sources of industrial pollution; and
(j) to do anything which may be necessary to uphold and support the credit of the Organisation, to obtain and justify public confidence, to avert or minimise any loss to the Organisation and to facilitate the proper and efficient performance of its functions.
(2) In particular, but without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the Organisation may–
(a) undertake, either alone or in association with any person or body of persons within or outside Tanzania, the establishment, equipment and management, on a zonal or sectoral basis, of a centre or centres within Tanzania for the performance of any of its functions;
(b) carry out, and promote the carrying out of, applied research and investigation into the causes, and the ways of abating and preventing industrial pollution;
(c) in co-operation with the Government or any person or body of persons, evaluate and, if necessary, adapt foreign technological processes for use in Tanzania;
(d) provide to industrial enterprises technical services connected with the design of prototype industrial plant, machinery and equipment for manufacture or use in Tanzania; and
(e) provide to industrial enterprises technical services connected with the repair and maintenance of industrial plant, machinery and equipment.
(3) For the purposes of the better performance of its functions the Organisation shall establish and maintain a system of consultation and co-operation with any person or body of persons established by or under any written law and having functions related to those specified in subsection (1) or (2) or which relate to technological research or to industrial development generally.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.