ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
TANZANIA COMMISSION FOR AIDS
4. Establishment of the Commission.
5. Functions and objectives of the Commission.
6. Composition of the Commission.
7. Tenure and removal of Commissioners.
7A. Disciplinary Authority.
8. Meetings of the Commission.
9. Staff of the Commission.
10. Departments of the Commission.
THE MANAGEMENT OF THE COMMISSION
11. Appointment of the Executive Director.
11A. Duties of the Executive Director.
11B. The Secretariat.
12. Duties of the Secretariat.
12A. Establishment of Trust Fund
12B. Board of Trustee of the Trust Fund
12C. Fund of the Trust Fund
12D. Disbursement of funds
12E. Accounts and record of Trust Fund
12F. Annual report
13. Establishment of AIDS Committees.
14. Reports by Committees.
15. Funds of the Commission.
16. Commissioner to keep books of accounts.
17. Annual report.
18. Commission to regulate its own procedures.
19. Directions by Minister.
TANZANIA COMMISSION FOR AIDS ACT
An Act to establish the Tanzania Commission for AIDS, to provide for the prevention and control of AIDS and to provide for the Commission's composition, functions, objectives, co-ordination and for connected matters.
[21st January, 2002]
[G.N. No. 61 of 2002]
22 of 2001
6 of 2015
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-3)
This Act may be cited as the Tanzania Commission for AIDS Act.
This Act shall apply to Tanzania Mainland only.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)" means a condition characterized by a combination of signs and symptoms caused by HIV which attack and weaken the body's immune system, making any infected person susceptible to other life threatening infections;
"AIDS Committee" means a committee established under Part IV of this Act;
"Anti Retroviral Drugs(ARVs)" means drugs used by an HIV infected person to reduce or limit the multiplication of HIV;
"Board" means the Board of Trustees of the Trust Fund established under this Act;
"Commission" means Tanzania Commission for AIDS established under section 4 of this Act;
"Executive Director" means the "Chief Executive Officer of Commission";
"Human Immuno Deficiency Virus (HIV)" means the virus causing AIDS;
"HIV and AIDS Focal Person" means a person who performs such duties as prescribed under this Act;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for multisectoral co-ordination;
"recipient" means a person or group of persons, organisation or body corporate which receives funds from the Trust Fund;
"Secretary" means the Secretary to the Commission;
"thematic area" means intervention areas for implementing National Multi-Sectoral Framework for HIV and AIDS national response.
TANZANIA COMMISSION FOR AIDS (ss 4-10)
(1) There is hereby established a Commission to be known as Tanzania Commission for AIDS, otherwise to be known by its acronym "TACAIDS".
(2) The Commission shall be an independent department under the office of the Prime Minister or any other ministry as the President may direct.
(1) The functions of the Commission shall be as follows–
(a) to formulate policy guidelines for the response to HIV/AIDS epidemic and management of its consequences in Mainland Tanzania;
(b) to develop strategic framework for planning of all HIV/AIDS control programmes and activities within the overall national multisectoral strategy;
(c) to foster national and international linkages among all stake holders through proper co-ordination of all HIV/AIDS prevention and control programmes and activities within the overall national multisectoral strategy;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.