ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and application.
3. Possession of stock suspected of having been stolen.
4. Trespass with intent to steal stock.
5. Being found near stock in suspicious circumstances.
6. Fences around stock enclosure or cattle boma.
7. Offences relating to brands.
8. Alternative verdicts.
9. Modification of Cap. 20.
12. Inquiry by magistrate where theft of stock apprehended.
13. Order by magistrate.
14. Failure to comply with order.
15. Power to seize stock.
16. Action under this Act not to affect proceedings in a court in certain circumstances.
17. Indemnity to persons acting in good faith.
THE STOCK THEFT (PREVENTION) ACT
An Act to more effectually prevent the theft of stock.
[13th May, 1960]
2 of 1960
30 of 1961
[R.L. Cap. 422]
2 of 1972
13 of 1984
12 of 1998
(1) This Act may be cited as the Stock Theft (Prevention) Act.
(2) This Act shall apply throughout the whole area of Mainland Tanzania.
(1) In this Act unless the context otherwise requires–
"authorised officer" means any administrative officer, any police officer not below the rank of sub-inspector and any other person declared by the Minister for Home Affairs by notice in the Gazette to be an authorised officer for the purposes of this Act;
"community" means the people of any area or place or of any tribe or sub-division of a tribe, and includes a family or group of families;
"fence" includes any hedge, wall or other erection for enclosing stock;
"leader" includes an elder, a headman or chief;
"occupier" includes a native or native community lawful occupying or using public land as a cattle boma in accordance with native law and custom;
"owner" includes the occupier and person in charge of or having supervision of any property;
"private land" means freehold or leasehold land, or land deemed under the provisions of any law for the time being in force to be freehold or leasehold land, and land occupied under a right of occupancy granted under section 6 of the Land Act *;
"public land" means land other than private land;
"specified area" means any area specified in any information, order, direction or document and as opposed to the whole area of the United Republic of Tanzania;
"stock" means any of the animals mentioned in section 268 of the Penal Code * and any of their young;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.