ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
SHIPPING AGENCY SERVICES
3. Services of a shipping agent.
4. Functions of the Divisional Director.
5. Functions and duties of the Authority.
6. Continuation of business after operation of the Act.
CAPITAL AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPPING AGENTS
7. Qualifications for registration and licensing.
8. Capital requirements.
9. Margin of solvency.
10. Restriction on transfer of shares.
11. Application of licence.
12. Licence not transferable.
13. Suspension or cancellation.
14. Effect of suspension or cancellation of an order.
15. Communication to be deemed complete.
16. No compensation for loss.
OFFENCES AND PENALTIES
17. Liability of body corporate.
18. Liability of employee or servant of shipping agent.
19. Offences and penalties.
20. Power to issue directions.
21. Power of entry and inspection.
22. Maintenance of records.
23. Exemption from application of certain provisions of the Act.
THE SHIPPING AGENCY ACT
An Act to provide for the regulation and control of the business of shipping agency and for matters connected therewith.
[1st July, 2002]
Act No. 13 of 2002
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Shipping Agency Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Authority" means the Surface and Marine Transport Regulatory Authority;
"Director-General" means the Director-General of the Authority;
"Divisional Director" means the Divisional Director of the Authority responsible for shipping agency matters;
"licence" means a licence to carry on business of shipping agency issued under this Act;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for shipping matters;
"Ministry" means the Ministry responsible for shipping agency matters;
"port services or facilities" shall have the meaning assigned to them in the Tanzania Harbours Authority Act *;
"prescribed" means prescribed by regulations made under this Act;
"principal" means a person for whom another person acts on his behalf as an agent in the business of shipping agency;
"shipping agent" means any person or company engaged in providing shipping agency services on behalf of the principal.
SHIPPING AGENCY SERVICES (s 3)
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.