ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
REGISTRATION OF PERSONS
5. Appointments, officers, etc.
6. Terms of service of registration officers.
7. Registration of persons.
8. Applications for registration.
9. Registration procedure.
10. Types and issue of identity cards.
11. Duty to use registered name and to submit number of identity card.
12. Custody and safety of identity card.
13. Replacement of identity cards.
14. Production and inspection of identity cards.
15. Power to exempt.
17. No presumption of truth of contents of identity card.
18. Power to certify and furnish certified copies.
19. Duty not to disclose photographs, fingerprints and particulars.
20. Offences and penalties.
21. Power of arrest.
22. Power to make regulations.
23. Public Officers' indemnity.
24. [Transitional provisions.]
THE REGISTRATION AND IDENTIFICATION OF PERSONS ACT
An Act to provide for the registration of persons in the United Republic, the issue to them of identity cards and for connected purposes.
Act No. 11 of 1986
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-4)
This Act may be cited as the Registration and Identification of Persons Act.
This Act shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette, appoint.
In this Act, unless the context requires otherwise–
"alien" means any person who is not a citizen or a national of the United Republic.
"applicant" means a person required to apply for registration under section 7 of this Act;
"citizen" means a person who is a citizen of the United Republic in accordance with the law for the time being relating to of citizenship;
"diplomatic person" means the consular or diplomatic employee and other members of the staff or families of the staff of a consular or diplomatic mission appointed to their positions by the government of the appropriate foreign power or an international organisation, and who would not otherwise be living in the United Republic;
"identity card" means a card indicating the identity of the holder issued by the Registrar under this Act;
"Minister" means the Minister for the time being responsible for matters relating to citizenship;
"Registrar" means the person appointed as such under section 5, and includes any person discharging the functions of the Assistant Registrar or any functions under this Act upon the directions of the Registrar;
"registration office" means an office established or set up in pursuance of subsection (4) of section 5;
"registration officer" means the Registrar, any registrar or an assistant registrar appointed under section 5 and performing any function pursuant to any provision of this Act.
(1) This Act applies to Tanzania Zanzibar and to Mainland Tanzania.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), this Act shall apply to all persons resident in the United Republic.
(3) This Act shall not apply to such persons who are–
(a) bona fide passengers in transit through the United Republic;
(b) temporary visitors to the United Republic; or
(c) residents entitled to exemption, as the Minister may, by order published in the Gazette, determine.
REGISTRATION OF PERSONS (ss 5-9)
(i) Administration (ss 5-6)
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.