ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
PROVISIONS GOVERNING GRANT OF BENEFITS
5. Scope of entitlement to the benefits.
6. Benefits payable as of right.
7. Conditions regarding leave without salary.
8. Benefits to be charged out of Consolidated Fund.
GRANT OF BENEFITS TO FORMER PRESIDENT AND FORMER VICE-PRESIDENT
(i) Benefits to former President
9. Benefits to be granted to former President.
10. Grant of gratuity to dependants of former President.
11. Pension for widow, widows or widower of former President.
(ii) Benefits to former Vice-President
12. Benefits to be granted to former Vice-President.
13. Grant of gratuity to dependants of former Vice-President.
BENEFITS CONFERRED TO FORMER PRIME MINISTER, FORMER MINISTER AND FORMER DEPUTY MINISTER
(i) Benefits to former Prime Minister
14. Benefits to be granted to former Prime Minister.
15. Grant of gratuity to dependants of former Prime Minister.
(ii) Benefits to former Minister and former Deputy Minister
16. Payment of pension and gratuity to former Minister and Deputy Minister.
17. Payment of pension, etc., to dependants of former Minister and Deputy Minister.
BENEFITS CONFERRED TO FORMER SPEAKER AND FORMER MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT
(i) Benefits to former Speaker
18. Benefits to former Speaker.
19. Grant of gratuity to dependants of former Speaker.
(ii) Benefits to former Deputy Speaker
20. Benefits to former Deputy Speaker.
(iii) Benefits to former Member of Parliament
21. Benefits to former Member of Parliament.
22. Grant of gratuity, etc., to dependants of former Member of Parliament.
BENEFITS CONFERRED TO FORMER REGIONAL COMMISSIONER OR DISTRICT COMMISSIONER
23. Benefits to be granted to Regional Commissioner or District Commissioner.
24. Review of benefits and exemption from income tax.
25. Repeal and savings.
THE POLITICAL SERVICE RETIREMENT BENEFITS ACT
An Act to provide for the granting of benefits and services to leaders upon cessation of service in a political office.
[1st November, 2000] 1
3 of 1999
9 of 2000
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-4)
This Act may be cited as the Political Service Retirement Benefits Act.
[Repealed by Act No. 9 of 2000 s. 15.]
In this Act, unless the context requires otherwise–
"appointing, nominating or electoral authority" means the President and the National Electoral Commission;
"appropriate authority" in relation to any provision of this Act, means a person, declared under sections 6(3);
"benefits" means pension, gratuity, winding up allowance or any other award granted under the provisions of this Act;
"Constitution" means the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania *;
"dependant", in relation to a deceased leader, means–
(a) where the deceased leader was a male, his widow or where immediately preceding his death he was married to two or more wives, his widows;
(b) where the deceased leader was a female, her husband;
(c) every child of the deceased leader who was wholly or substantially dependent upon the deceased leader’s income for his livelihood immediately preceding the death of the deceased officer;
(d) the immediate parents of the deceased leader; who satisfies the Permanent Secretary to the Treasury that they were wholly or substantially dependent upon the deceased leader’s income for their livelihood immediately preceding the death of the deceased leader;
"former President" means a person who has held the office of the President of the United Republic, but has ceased to hold that office and the expressions “former Vice-President:, “former Prime Minister”, “former Minister” Deputy Minister” shall be construed accordingly;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.