ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
4. Appointment of Registrar.
5. Appointment of assistant registrars and other officers.
6. Protection of officers.
7. Duty of political parties to register.
9. Conditions for provisional registration.
10. Conditions for full registration.
11. Rights and privileges of, and meetings of, political parties.
12. Prohibition of the revival of former parties; and establishment of branches, etc.
13. Funds and other resources of a party.
14. Submission of accounts and declaration of property.
15. Party to maintain bank account.
16. Grant of, and party qualification for, subvention.
17. When, how and amount of subvention to be granted.
18. Application of, and accounting for, subvention.
19. Power of Registrar to cancel registration.
20. Decision of the Registrar to be final.
21. Parties to appoint trustees.
23. [Amendment of R.L. Cap. 337.]
THE POLITICAL PARTIES ACT
An Act to provide for terms, conditions and the procedure for the registration of political parties and for related matters.
[1st July, 1992]
5 of 1992
10 of 1994
32 of 1994
18 of 1995
11 of 1996
9 of 2002
This Act may be cited as the Political Parties Act.
This Act shall apply to Tanzania Zanzibar as well as to Mainland Tanzania.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Minister" means the Minister for the time being responsible for matters relating to political parties;
"party" means a political party;
"political party" means any organised group formed for the purpose of forming a government or a local government authority within the United Republic through elections or for putting up or supporting candidates to such elections;
"Registrar" means the Registrar of Political Parties appointed under section 4 and includes a deputy and an assistant registrar.
(1) There shall be a Registrar of Political Parties in the office of the Prime Minister or in such other office as the President may determine who shall be appointed by the President.
(2) There shall be a Deputy Registrar who shall be appointed by the President.
(3) The Registrar shall be responsible for the registration of political parties in accordance with the provisions of this Act and shall perform any other function conferred by this Act.
(4) In the performance of his functions under this Act the Registrar shall from time to time consult the Minister.
The Minister may appoint assistant registrars and such other officers in such numbers as may from time to time be required to carry out the purposes of this Act.
No suit shall lie against the Registrar, Assistant Registrar or other officer appointed under this Act for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith and without negligence in the performance of any function under this Act.
(1) Subject to subsection (2) of this section, every political party formed in any part of the United Republic, shall apply to the Registrar in the prescribed manner to be registered as a political party.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section Chama cha Mapinduzi, also known by the acronym CCM, which was, immediately before this Act, the sole political party for the whole of the United Republic shall, on the coming into effect of this Act, and without further requirement, be deemed to have been fully registered as a political party and shall be issued with a certificate of registration in accordance with this Act.
(3) No organisation shall operate or function as a political party unless it has first been registered in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(1) Every political party other than the political party registrable pursuant to subsection (2) of section 7, shall apply and be registered in two stages, after fulfilling all the conditions prescribed for each stage.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.