ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and construction.
2. Forms of oaths.
4. President's oaths.
5. Minister's oaths.
6. Deputy Minister's oaths.
7. Judge's oaths.
8. Speaker's oath.
9. Oath of allegiance.
10. Judicial oath.
11. Official oath.
12. Oath of secrecy.
13. Oath of justice of the peace.
14. Unnecessary repetition of oaths.
15. Omission to take oath not to invalidate acts.
16. Oaths to be recorded and attested.
17. Oaths by persons who are not citizens.
18. Power to amend Second Schedule.
19. [Repeal of Cap. 266.]
THE OFFICIAL OATHS ACT
An Act to prescribe the oath of allegiance and the oaths to be taken by the President and other persons in the service of the United Republic, and for other related matters.
[9th December, 1962]
C. A. Act No. 8 of 1962
[R.L. Cap. 506]
55 of 1963
10 of 1980
17 of 1989
(1) This Act may be cited as the Official Oaths Act.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in any other written law in relation to any oath to be taken in connection with any office, the form of the official oaths to be taken in connection with public office shall be as prescribed by this Act.
(1) The oath of allegiance, the oath of the President, the oath of a Minister, the judicial oath, the speaker's oath, the official oath and the oath of secrecy shall be in the forms set out in the First Schedule.
(2) A person may take any such oath, or an affirmation in lieu of it, in either the English or the Swahili form.
If a person expresses any objection to taking an oath or expresses a desire to make an affirmation in lieu of it, he may, without being further questioned as to the grounds of the objection or desire, make a solemn affirmation in the form of the oaths appointed in this Act, substituting the words "solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm" for the word "swear" and omitting the words "So help me God".
The oaths to be taken by the President on his assumption of office shall be tendered by and subscribed before the Chief Justice.
In addition to the oath of allegiance, every Minister shall take and subscribe the oaths of a Minister, and those oaths shall be tendered by and subscribed before the President.
In addition to the oath of allegiance, every Deputy Minister shall subscribe to the official oath, and every oath, shall be tendered by and subscribed before the President.
In addition to the oath of allegiance, every judge of the High Court shall take and subscribe the judicial oath, and those oaths shall be tendered by and subscribed before the President.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.