ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
NATURAL RESOURCES BOARD
3. Establishment and composition of Natural Resources Board.
4. Quorum and proceedings of the Board.
5. Functions of the Board.
6. Board to give notice to interested parties.
7. Board may summon witnesses.
8. Penalty for giving false evidence.
9. Appeal from determination of Board.
10. Conservation Councils.
11. Functions of Conservation Council.
CONSERVATION AND IMPROVEMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
12. Board may make orders for conservation of natural resources.
13. Local authority to issue directions in certain cases.
14. Minister may construct works.
15. Apportionment of costs.
16. Rights of entry.
17. Penalty for discharge of storm water.
18. Conservation Officers.
19. Protection of despoiled or deteriorated areas.
20. Destocking and limitation of stock.
22. Primary courts.
THE NATURAL RESOURCES ACT
An Act to make provision for the conservation and improvement of the natural resources and for related matters.
[1st January, 1949]
Ord. No. 30 of 1948
148 of 1961
478 of 1962
11 of 1996
9 of 1999
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Natural Resources Act.
In this Act unless the context otherwise requires–
"court" includes a primary court established under the Magistrates' Courts Act *;
"Board" means the Natural Resources Board constituted under section 3 of this Act;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for natural resources;
"natural resources" means–
(a) the soil and waters of Mainland Tanzania;
(b) the animal, bird and fish life of Mainland Tanzania;
(c) the trees, grasses and another vegetable products of the soil;
(d) such other things as the Minister may, by proclamation in the Gazette, declare to be natural resources;
"occupier" in relation to land means any person lawfully occupying such land;
"owner" in relation to land, means the person, other than a mortgagee not in possession entitled, either with or without the consent of any other person, to dispose of an interest in land;
"storm water" means all flow water directly due to rainfall, before such water joins a stream;
"stream" means a water-course of natural origin wherein water flows in ordinary seasons, whether or not such water-course is dry during any period of the year and whether or not its conformation has been changed by artificial means, and includes swamps or marshes, whether forming the source or found upon the course of or feeding such water-course.
NATURAL RESOURCES BOARD (ss 3-11)
(1) As from the date of the coming into operation of this Act, there shall be established a Natural Resources Board which shall comprise–
(a) the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry responsible for natural resources who shall be the Chairman of the Board;
(b) the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry responsible for local government;
(c) the Director of Natural Resources who shall be the executive Officer of the Board;
(d) five other members to be appointed by the Minister of whom four shall be persons not holding public office.
(2) Members appointed by the Minister under subsection (1) of this section shall hold office during the Minister's pleasure.
(3) If a member is prevented from illness, absence from Tanzania or other cause from exercising his functions on the Board, the Minister may appoint any person to act as deputy for such member during his absence.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.