ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
3. National Lotteries Board.
4. Director and other officers.
5. Functions of Board.
6. National lotteries to be lawful.
7. Rules respecting national lotteries.
8. Selling agents.
9. Financial resources.
10. National Lottery Fund.
11. Purposes for which Fund may be used.
12. Annual and supplementary budget.
13. Reserve and special funds.
15. Accounts and audit.
16. Liability of members, etc.
18. No limitation in compensation orders.
21. [Repeal of R.L. Cap. 576.]
THE NATIONAL LOTTERIES ACT
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Board of Trustees of the National Lotteries and provide for its functions and related matters.
[1st August, 1974]
24 of 1974
17 of 1990
This Act may be cited as the National Lotteries Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Board" means the Board of Trustees of the National Lotteries established by this Act;
"Director" means the Director of National Lotteries appointed under section 4 and includes, save for the purposes of the Schedule to this Act, any Deputy Director;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for finance;
"National Lottery" means a national lottery authorised by this Act;
"selling agent" means any person appointed by the Board to sell tickets in a national lottery.
(1) There is hereby established a Board of Trustees of the National Lotteries.
(2) The Board shall–
(a) be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal;
(b) in its corporate name be capable of suing and being sued;
(c) be capable of holding, purchasing or otherwise acquiring, and disposing of, any property, movable or immovable, for the purposes of carrying out the functions conferred upon it by or under this Act or any other written law.
(3) The provisions of the Schedule to this Act shall have effect as to the constitution and proceedings of the Board and otherwise in relation to the Board.
(4) The Minister may, by Order in the Gazette, amend, vary or replace the Schedule to this Act.
(1) The Minister shall appoint a suitable person to be the Director of National Lotteries.
(2) The Director shall, by virtue of his office, be a member of the Board in addition to being the chief executive officer of the Board.
(3) The Board may appoint, on such terms and conditions as the Board may, after consultation with the Minister, determine, a Deputy Director and such number of other officers as the Board may consider necessary for an efficient performance of its functions under this Act.
(1) The functions of the Board shall be–
(a) subject to the provisions of this Act, to conduct and promote, from time to time, a national lottery;
(b) to use and administer the National Lotteries Fund and other funds and resources of the Board in accordance with the provisions of this Act;
(c) to do all such acts and things as may be necessary for efficient performance of its functions.
(2) The Minister may give to the Board directions of a general or specific character as to the carrying out of its functions, and the Board shall give effect to every such direction.
For the avoidance of doubts it is hereby declared that every national lottery promoted and conducted by the Board pursuant to this Act shall be lawful notwithstanding the provisions of any written law to the contrary.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.