ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
3. Establishment of Council.
4. Functions of the Council.
5. Appointment of staff.
6. Funds of the Council.
9. Accounts and audit.
10. Execution of documents.
THE NATIONAL KISWAHILI COUNCIL ACT
An Act to establish the National Kiswahili Council and to provide for matters related to the Council.
[11th August, 1967]
27 of 1967
1 of 1968
7 of 1983
This Act may be cited as the National Kiswahili Council Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Council" means the National Kiswahili Council established by section 3;
"financial year of the Council" means a year commencing on the first day of July and ending on the next following thirtieth day of June:
Provided that the first financial year of the Council shall commence on the date of coming into operation of this Act and end on the thirtieth day of June, 1968;
"Minister" means the Minister for the time being responsible for matters relating to the National Kiswahili Council.
(1) There is hereby established a Council, which shall–
(a) be a body corporate by the name of the National Kiswahili Council with perpetual succession and a seal;
(b) in its corporate name be capable of suing and being sued; and
(c) be capable of holding, purchasing and otherwise acquiring and disposing of any property, movable or immovable, for the purposes of carrying out the functions conferred on the Council by this Act.
(2) The provisions of the Schedule to this Act shall have effect with respect to the constitution and proceedings of the Council.
(3) The Minister may by Order published in the Gazette, amend, add to, vary or revoke and replace any of the provisions of the Schedule to this Act.
(1) The functions of the Council shall be–
(a) to promote the development and usage of the Kiswahili language throughout the United Republic;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.