ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
3. Establishment of Council.
4. Functions of the Council.
5. Secretary to the Council.
6. Appointment of other staff.
7. Funds of the Council.
9. Accounts and audit.
10. Annual statement on accounts and report to be submitted to the Minister.
11. Annual statement and report to be laid before the National Assembly.
12. Execution of documents.
13. Remuneration of members of the Council.
14. Delegation of powers by the Council.
17. Transfer of assets and liabilities.
18. Employees of the former Councils.
THE NATIONAL ARTS COUNCIL ACT
An Act to reconstitute the National Arts Council by amalgamation of the National Arts Council and the National Music Council and to provide for related matters.
[31st March, 1984]
23 of 1984
11 of 1988
This Act may be cited as the National Arts Council Act.
In this Act, unless the context requires otherwise–
"artistic work" means a work, irrespective of its artistic quality, of any of the following descriptions–
(a) art and crafts, which include–
(i) paintings, drawings, etchings, lithographs, woodcuts, engravings and prints;
(ii) maps, plans and diagrams;
(iii) works of sculpture;
(iv) photographs not comprised in a cinematograph film;
(v) works of architecture in the form of buildings or models;
(vi) works of artistic craftsmanship, and also includes pictorial woven tissues and articles of applied handicraft and industrial art;
(b) music which may be vocal, instrumental, recorded or written composition and which includes, jazz bands, taarab music, choir, orchestral brass music, folk music, musical repertoire, dancing, opera or playwriting;
(c) theatre and drama, which consists of stage craft and design, costume design, make up, ornamentations and accessories, dance and choreography, audiovisual effects, circus, mime and acrobatic performances;
"Council" means the National Arts Council established by section 3;
"financial year of the Council" means a year commencing on the first day of July and ending on the next following thirtieth day of June;
"member" in relation to the Council means a member of the Council and includes the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for matters relating to national culture;
"Secretary" means Secretary of the Council, appointed under section 5.
(1) There is established a body to be known as the National Arts Council which shall be a body corporate and shall–
(a) have perpetual succession and an official seal;
(b) in its corporate name be capable of suing and being sued; and
(c) be capable of holding, purchasing and otherwise acquiring, and disposing of any property, movable or immovable for the purposes of carrying out the functions conferred on the Council by this Act.
(2) The provisions of the Schedule to this Act shall have effect as to the constitution and proceedings of, and in relation to, the Council.
(3) Except in the case of matters relating to the office and appointment of the Chairman and the Secretary of the Council, the Minister may, by order published in the Gazette, amend, add to, vary or replace any of the provisions of the Schedule to this Act.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.