ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
THE MUHIMBILI UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
3. Establishment of the College.
4. Membership of the College.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
6. Governing Board of the College.
7. Powers and duties of the Board.
8. Principal of the College.
10. Academic Board.
11. Functions and powers of the Academic Board.
12. Faculties, Institutes and Directorates.
14. Appointments Committee for Academic Staff.
15. Appointments Committee for Administrative Staff.
16. Academic and administrative staff.
17. Interpretation relating to Part IV.
18. Power of Academic Board to make by-laws.
19. Registrar to be disciplinary authority.
20. Delegation of powers of Registrar.
21. Procedure in disciplinary proceedings.
22. Cases of formal proceedings.
23. Cases of summary proceedings.
24. Disciplinary Appeals Committee.
26. Disciplinary offences not criminal offences.
27. Decisions not subject to review.
28. Property vested in Board.
29. Board may invest funds.
30. Annual estimates.
MISCELLANEOUS AND TRANSITIONAL PROVISIONS
31. Academic Board may make regulations.
32. Vice-Chancellor may give directions.
34. Vesting of assets and liabilities.
35. College to continue functions of former faculty.
37. Dean of the former faculty.
38. Disciplinary regulations of the former faculty.
39. Operation of contracts, etc.
THE MUHIMBILI UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES ACT
An Act to establish the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences as a constituent college of the University of Dar es Salaam and to provide for related matters.
[1st July, 1991]
[G.N. No. 98 of 1991]
9 of 1991
8 of 2000
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Academic Board" means the Academic Board of the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences established under section 10 of this Act;
"academic staff" means the academic staff as defined in section 16(1) of this Act;
"administrative staff" means the administrative staff as defined in section 16(2) of this Act;
"appointment", in relation to the staff of the College, means an appointment of a person to the academic staff or the administrative staff of the College and includes an appointment on promotion or transfer, and also includes an acting appointment;
"Appointments Committee" means, in relation to an appointment to the academic staff or any matter relating to a member of the academic staff the Committee established by 14 and in relation to an appointment to the administrative staff or any matter relating to a member of the administrative staff, the Committee established by section 15;
"Board" means the Governing Board of the College established by section 6;
"Chairman" means the Chairman of the Academic Board;
"College" means the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences established by section 3 as a constituent college of the University of Dar es Salaam;
"College Term" means each period in each college year during which the college is in session;
"Council" means the Council of the University of Dar es Salaam established under section 11 of the University of Dar es Salaam Act *;
"Dean" means the Dean of a Faculty;
"Dean of Students" means the Dean of Students of the College;
"effective date" means the date on which this Act comes into operation;
"financial year" means the financial year of the College as determined in accordance with section 30;
"former faculty", means the faculty of Medicine of the University of Dar es Salaam;
"former officer" means any person employed on the academic staff or the administrative staff of the former faculty;
"instrument" includes contracts guarantees, agreements, bonds, authorities, mortgages, charges, bills of exchange, promissory notes, bank drafts, bank cheques, letters of credit and securities;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for higher education;
"Principal" means the Principal of the College appointed under section 8;
"Registrar" means the Registrar of the College appointed under section 9;
"Regulations" means regulations made by the Academic Board under section 31;
"Rules" means rules made by the Academic Board;
"Secretary" means the Secretary to the Academic Board;
"Student" means any person admitted to the college as a candidate for a degree, diploma, certificate or other award of the University or of the college;
"Students' Organisation" means an organisation approved by the Visitor being an organisation representative of the students of the College;
"University" means the University of Dar es Salaam established by the University of Dar es Salaam Act *;
"Visitor" means the visitor to the College as provided under section 5.
THE MUHIMBILI UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (ss 3-4)
(1) There is hereby established a College to be known as the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences which shall be governed and administered in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(2) The College shall be a constituent college of the University of Dar es Salaam.
(3) The College shall be a body corporate and shall–
(a) have perpetual succession and an official seal;
(b) in its corporate name, be capable of suing and being sued;
(c) be capable of purchasing and otherwise acquiring and of alienating, any movable or immovable property;
(d) have power to borrow such sums as it may require for its purposes.
(4) The functions of the college shall be–
(a) to provide in Tanzania a place of learning, education, research in health sciences and through these to provide service of a quality required and expected of a University institution of the highest standard and to maintain in that respect for scholarship and for academic freedom which such an institution requires;
(b) to prepare students through regular and professional courses in the fields of health and allied sciences for degrees, diplomas, certificates and other awards of the University of Dar es Salaam and for any diplomas, certificates and other awards offered at the College;
(c) to contribute to the intellectual life, to act as a focal point for cultural development and to be a centre for studies, service and research particularly in matters pertaining to the interests of the people of Tanzania.
Membership of the College shall be open to all persons qualified under the College or University regulations, without distinction of race, ethnic origin, sex or religion.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (ss 5-16)
(1) The Chancellor of the University of Dar es Salaam shall be the Visitor to the College.
(2) The Visitor may from time to time direct a visitation to the College to inspect its buildings, laboratories, equipment, teaching and other activities.
(1) There shall be a Governing Board of the College which shall be answerable to the University Council.
(2) The provisions of the First Schedule to this Act shall have effect to the composition of the Board, the tenure of office of its members, termination of their appointment, the proceedings of the Board and other matters in relation to the Board and its members.
(3) The Minister may by order in the Gazette amend, vary or replace all or any of the provisions of the First Schedule to this Act.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the governance and control of the College shall be vested in the Board.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the Board shall have power–
(a) to administer the properties of the College, both movable and immovable;
(b) to administer the funds, investments and other assets of the College;
(c) to signify the acts of the College by use of the common seal;
(d) on behalf of the College, to receive gifts, donations, grants or other moneys and to make disbursements therefrom to colleges, schools, faculties, institutes, the Library and other libraries, centres or directorates, units or to other persons or bodies;
(e) subject to the provisions of the Act, to appoint, settle the terms and conditions of service or terminate the appointment of officers and other employees of the College as it may deem necessary, provided that for the purpose of this provision, "officers" shall include the Principal, the Registrar of the College and the Dean of Students;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.