ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
LAW REFORM COMMISSION OF TANZANIA
3. Establishment of the Commission.
4. Functions of the Commission.
5. Composition of the Commission.
6. Tenure of office of Commissioners.
PROCEDURE AND POWERS OF THE COMMISSION
8. Attorney-General to refer matters to the Commission.
9. Commission may initiate own work.
10. Commission to involve the public in its work.
11. General powers of the Commission.
12. Commission to act independently.
13. Matters to be taken into account.
14. Submission of conclusions.
15. Publication of reports.
16. Referring matters back for reconsideration.
STAFF OF THE COMMISSION
17. Public department and officers.
19. Staff of the Commission.
20. Expenses of the Commission.
21. Salaries and allowances of Commissioners.
22. Meetings of the Commission.
23. Annual reports.
24. Records of Commission to be public records.
THE LAW REFORM COMMISSION OF TANZANIA ACT
An Act to establish the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania.
[15th August, 1983]
[G.N. No. 124 of 1983]
11 of 1980
10 of 1999
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"Chairman" means the Chairman of the Commission appointed under section 5;
"Commission" means the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania established by section 3;
"Commissioner" means a person appointed to be Commissioner under section 5, and includes the Chairman;
"high judicial office" means the office of a Judge of the Court of Appeal of the United Republic or of a Judge of the High Court of the United Republic or the High Court of Zanzibar;
"Minister" means the Minister for the time being responsible for legal affairs;
"reference" means a reference by the Attorney-General to the Commission under this Act.
THE LAW REFORM COMMISSION OF TANZANIA (ss 3-6)
There is hereby established a Commission which shall be known as the Law Reform Commission of Tanzania.
(1) The functions of the Commission shall be to take and keep under review all the laws of the United Republic with a view to its systematic development and reform.
(2) In particular, but without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the Commission may, whether at its own instance or otherwise–
(a) review any law or branch of the law and propose measures necessary for–
(i) bringing that law or branch of the law into accord with current circumstances of Tanzania;
(ii) eliminating anomalies or other defects in the law, repealing obsolete or unnecessary laws and reducing the number of separate enactments; and
(iii) the proper codification and simplification of that law or branch of law;
(b) consider and advise on proposals for the adoption of new or more effective methods for the administration of the law and the dispensation of justice;
(c) from time to time, prepare and submit to the Attorney-General programmes for the examination of different branches of law with a view to reforming those laws, including recommendations as to the agency, whether the Commission or another body, by which any such examination should be carried out;
(d) at the request of the Attorney-General, prepare comprehensive programmes for the consolidation and revision of laws, and undertake the preparation of any draft Bills pursuant to any such programme approved by the Attorney-General;
(e) at the instance of the Attorney-General provide advice and assistance to any Ministry or department or any public authority or institution by undertaking the examination of any particular branch of the law and making recommendations for reform so as to bring it into accord with current circumstances.
(3) The Commission may, for the purposes of the more effective performance of its functions, establish and maintain a system of collaboration, consultation and co-operation with any person or body of persons within or outside the United Republic engaged in law reform and may, for that purpose–
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.