ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and application.
3. Licensing Authority.
4. Licensing of inland water transport.
5. Using ship in contravention of Act.
6. Act not to apply to certain ships.
7. Duration of licence.
8. Licence not transferable.
9. Protection of public interest.
APPLICATION FOR AND GRANTING OF LICENCES
10. Procedure on application for licence.
11. Objection to application for licence.
12. Discretion of the licensing authority.
CONDITIONS, VARIATION, REVOCATION AND SUSPENSION OF LICENCES, APPEALS AND PENALTIES
13. Conditions of licences.
14. Power to revoke or suspend licences.
18. Financial provisions.
THE INLAND WATER TRANSPORT ACT
An Act to make provision for the control, co-ordination and development of inland water systems of transport.
[1st December, 1938]
1 of 1938
5 of 1956
48 of 1962
6 of 1966
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
(1) This Act may be cited as the Inland Water Transport Act.
(2) This Act shall apply to that part of Lake Victoria which lies within the boundaries of Tanzania and may be applied by the President, by proclamation, to that part of Lake Tanganyika which lies within the boundaries of Tanzania and to such other inland water as he may deem necessary or expedient.
(3) The President may, before making any proclamation under subsection (2), give such notice of the intended proclamation as he may consider desirable.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"goods" includes goods or burden of any description;
"inland waters" means those inland waters of Tanzania to which this Act is made applicable;
"licence" means a licence granted under this Act;
"Minister" means the minister responsible for communications;
"public interest" means the interests and convenience of the inhabitants of Mainland Tanzania as a whole and the interests of such inhabitants includes the prevention of uneconomic competition with transport by the Tanzania Harbours Authority;
"ship" means every description of vessel used in navigation not propelled by oars.
LICENSING (ss 3-9)
The licensing authority shall be the Transport Licensing Authority constituted in accordance with section 3 of the Transport Licensing Act *.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.