ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
3. Appointment of Imports Controller and Assistant Controllers.
4. Prohibition of importation of goods except under import licence.
5. Open general licence.
6. Application for import licence.
7. Issue of import licence.
8. Validity of licence.
9. Extension of licence in particular cases.
10. Cancellation of licence.
11. Production of import licence.
12. Offence not to comply with conditions of licence.
13. False information.
14. Prohibition against transfer of licence.
15. Prohibition of imports.
16. Import licence does not authorise importation of prohibited goods.
17. Cases in which import licence is not required.
18. Declaration of sales controlled goods.
19. Powers of entry.
21. Offence committed by company, firm, etc.
22. Directions by Imports Controller.
THE IMPORTS CONTROL ACT
An Act to make provision for the control of imports and other related matters.
[29th October, 1951]
33 of 1950
10 of 1951
39 of 1956
51 of 1958
G.N. No. 259 of 1971
5 of 1972
10 of 1973
This Act may be cited as the Imports Control Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, the expression–
"Controller" means the person appointed by the President to be the Imports Controller under section 3 of this Act and includes his duly authorised representative;
"Defence Regulations" means the Defence (Import and Export Control) Regulations, 1943, as amended from time to time;
"goods" includes all kinds of movable or personal property, including animals;
"import" with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions means to bring goods or cause goods to be brought into or within Tanzania by sea, air or land;
"import licence" means an import licence issued or deemed to have been issued under the provisions of section 7 of this Act;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for Finance;
"open general licence" means an open general licence issued or deemed to have been issued under the provisions of section 5;
"sales-controlled goods" means any goods declared to be sales-controlled goods under section 18(1) of this Act.
(1) The Minister may appoint an Imports Controller, and the Imports Controller may appoint Assistant Imports Controllers for the purposes of this Act.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.