ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
THE EASTERN AFRICA STATISTICAL TRAINING CENTRE
3. Establishment of Centre.
4. Objects and functions of the Centre.
5. The Council.
6. Powers and duties of the Council.
7. Rules and Regulations.
8. The Advisory Board of the Centre.
9. Director of the Centre.
10. Appointment of a Deputy Director.
11. Appointment of a Registrar, other members and staff.
12. Superannuation benefits.
13. Funds and resources of the Centre.
14. Borrowing powers.
15. Annual and supplementary budget.
17. Accounts and audit.
MISCELLANEOUS AND TRANSITIONAL PROVISIONS
18. Remuneration of the members of the Council and Board.
19. Liability of members of the Council.
20. Vesting of assets and liabilities of the former Centre.
21. Member states.
THE EASTERN AFRICA STATISTICAL TRAINING CENTRE ACT
An Act to establish the Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre and for related matters.
[1st October, 1995]
[G.N. No. 547 of 1995]
Act No. 28 of 1994
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"academic staff" means the teaching staff of the Centre whether engaged on full-time or part-time basis;
"administrative staff" means the staff of the Centre other than the academic staff;
"Board" means the Advisory Board of the Centre established by section 8;
"Centre" means the Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre established by Section 3;
"Council" means the Governing Council of the Centre established by section 5;
"Director" means the Director of the Centre appointed under section 9;
"former Centre" means the Eastern Africa Statistical Centre existing as a department in the Planning Commission, prior to the coming into operation of this Act;
"member states" means the member states of the Centre referred to in section 21.
THE EASTERN AFRICA STATISTICAL TRAINING CENTRE (ss 3-4)
(1) There is hereby established a Centre which shall be known as the Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre.
(2) The Centre shall be–
(a) an independent national institution under the General control and supervision of the Government of the United Republic;
(b) a body corporate and shall–
(i) have perpetual succession and an official seal;
(ii) in its corporate name, be capable of suing and being sued;
(iii) be capable of holding, purchasing or otherwise acquiring any movable or immovable property and of disposing of any of its property.
(1) The primary objective of the Centre shall be to improve the capabilities of the United Republic and other member states to produce the statistical data necessary for the assessment, planning and development of the people and the economics of those states through the training of personnel engaged in the production of statistical data.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the functions of the Centre shall be to–
(a) provide facilities for the study of, and training in the principles, procedures and techniques relating to the collection processing storage and use of statistical data;
(b) prepare and conduct training programmes in the study of statistics and in such other related subjects as the Council may from time to time determine;
(c) provide consultancy services to the Government of the member states and to such other bodies as the Council may deem fit;
(d) sponsor, arrange and to provide facilities for conferences or seminars, and workshops in particular in the field of statistics and statistical data;
(e) conduct professional examinations and to award professional diplomas, certificates and other awards in relation to training programmes conducted by the Centre;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.