ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title.
ESTABLISHMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF DAY CARE CENTRES
3. Registrar of day care centres.
4. Prohibition on establishment of day care centre.
5. Qualifications for registration of premises.
6. Application for registration.
7. Restriction on persons managing centres.
8. Registration of owners of centres.
ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT PROVISIONS
9. Register maintained by Registrar.
10. Inspection and search.
11. Power to cancel registration.
12. Power to regulate charges.
14. Provisions on staff of centres.
18. [Transitional provisions.]
THE DAY CARE CENTRES ACT
An Act to provide for regulation of the establishment of day care centres.
[1st July, 1981]
[G.N. No. 70 of 1981]
Act No. 17 of 1981
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Day Care Centres Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"child" means a person of the age of between two and six years;
"day care centre" means any premises, other than an approved school, a children's home or a nursery school, where fifteen or more children are received to be cared for and maintained during day time in the absence of their parents or guardians;
"health officer" means a public officer for the time being employed as and performing the duties of a health officer;
"local authority" means a City Council, a Municipal Council, a Town Council or Village Council established or deemed to have been established under the Local Government (Urban Authorities) Act * or a District Development Council established under the Decentralisation of Government Administration (Interim Provisions) Act *;
"Minister" means the Minster responsible for social welfare;
"proper organisation" includes a parastatal organisation, a voluntary agency a religious organisation, a co-operative society and any mass organisation established under the Party;
"Registrar" means the Registrar of day care centres appointed under section 3.
ESTABLISHMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF DAY CARE CENTRES (ss 3-8)
(1) The Commissioner for Social Welfare is hereby appointed to be the Registrar of Day Care Centres, and shall perform the functions of the Registrar specified in this Act or any other written law.
(2) Every Regional Welfare Officer shall be an Assistant Registrar of Day Care Centres and shall, subject to this Act and to the directions of the Registrar, perform the functions of the Registrar in the region for which he is the Regional Welfare Officer.
(1) No person shall, in any premises, carry on or permit the carrying on of a day care centre unless those premises are registered in accordance with section 6.
(2) The registration of any premises under section 6 shall cease to have effect upon the expiration of thirty days from the date of any change in the ownership or management of the day care centre carried on there.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.