ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and application.
3. Exemption of firearms.
ORGANISATION FOR ARMAMENTS CONTROL
5. Armaments control policy.
6. Vesting of control in the President.
7. Establishment of the Board.
8. Functions of the Board.
9. Procedure for exercise of functions of the Board.
10. Responses to exercise of functions of the Board.
CONTROL OF ARMAMENTS
11. Prohibition on possession and conveyance of armaments.
12. Prohibition on export, import of armaments, etc.
13. Prohibition on manufacture of armaments.
14. Issue of search warrant in certain cases, searches, etc.
15. Priority of service to carriers of armaments.
16. Forfeiture of armaments connected with offence.
17. Forfeiture of armaments without apparent owner.
THE ARMAMENTS CONTROL ACT
An Act to provide for the machinery and mechanism of controlling and managing the acquisition, manufacture and dealing in arms of war.
[15th January, 1994]
[G.N. No. 54 of 1994]
Act No. 1 of 1991
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS (ss 1-4)
This Act may be cited as the Armaments Control Act, and applies to Mainland Tanzania as well as to Tanzania Zanzibar.
[Omitted: Incorporated into s. 1.]
The Minister may, by order published in the Gazette, exempt any firearm or category of firearms from the application of this Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
"ammunition" includes explosives, cartridges, balls, caps and other material for loading firearms;
"armaments" means arms of war, whether complete or in parts and ammunition for them, namely, firearms, artillery of all kinds, apparatus for the discharge of all kinds of explosive or gas-diffusing projectiles, flamethrowers, bombs, grenades, machine guns, rifles, and small-fire breech-loading weapons of all kinds;
"arms" means all firearms other than armaments, and all other weapons described as arms by, and controlled in accordance with the Arms and Ammunition Act *;
"Board" means the Armaments Control Advisory Board established by section 7;
"control of armaments" means any act or process designed to facilitate or ensure the identification, verification, inspection, limitation, control, reduction or elimination of the unauthorised possession, conveyance or presence of armaments in the United Republic;
"department" means any department or part of a department of the Government, vested with the duties of defence and security and the word "departments" shall be construed as such;
"firearm" means any lethal barrelled weapon of any description other than a harpoon gun, from which any short, bullet or other missile can be discharged, and includes any component part of any firearm and any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.